Apparently, all this game picker needed was for golf season to begin here in Maine. After two days on the links feeling extra old and creaky and proving that a young game picker is ancient history, the picks are 22-8. Two straight 11-4 days are awesome. The only blemishes yesterday included yet another loss by the Red Sox, a second straight win by the Athletics over the Bay Rays, a Yu Darvish loss and a Mets victory behind Dickey. But, hey, that is fine and hard to complain over. It was a wonderful weekend.
No golf today though it is a beautiful day here. That's a good thing as muscles are aching in every part of the body. But how will that affect today's baseball picks? Goodness, we are a superstitious people. There are thirteen games on the schedule today including a double-header between the Indians and White Sox. So let's get to Monday's picks:
- The White Sox over the Indians: Phil Humber goes in the first game against Zach McAllister who is being brought up just to pitch this game. He will go back to the minors right after the game. You've got to go with Humber in this one.
- The Indians over the White Sox: Again, going with the big league pitcher over the minor league one as Josh Tomlin goes for the Indians against Eric Stults, who is doing the same thing McAllister is doing in the first game.
- The Mets over the Phillies: What is up with Roy Halladay? He got historically bombed his last time out, then left the team for a personal matter. Doesn't that throw up some red flags? Plus, Jon Niese is a good pitcher facing him. Of course, this concern could be all about nothing. We'll see.
- The Rangers over the Orioles: Matt Harrison hasn't been very good lately. But the Orioles just played seventeen innings and then traveled home in the wee hours of the morning. That means that Brian Matusz better go deep into the game. Do not see that happening against the Rangers.
- The Astros over the Marlins: Have to go with Wandy Rodriguez's hot hand to end the Marlins' six game winning streak. Carlos Zambrano goes for the Marlins.
- The Cubs over the Braves: Love the way Jeff Samardzija is pitching, especially at home where he's only given up one run in two games. Tommy Hanson is not right. His velocity is down and he just isn't the same.
- The Angels over the Twins: Jered Weaver is coming off his no-hitter. Hope he does better than Phil Humber did after his. The Twins won't provide much of a contest though, especially with Francisco Liriano on the mound.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Tough, tough game to call. Felix Doubront doesn't go deep in games and the Red Sox bullpen is beyond gassed. But Jonathan Sanchez will not go deep either as the Red Sox will wait him out to throw strikes. Toss up.
- The Reds over the Brewers: Yeah, this would mean that the Reds would win two in a row. That doesn't happen often. This might be a high scoring game as it is Yovani Gallardo against Bronson Arroyo. Neither one has been a shut down pitcher this season.
- The Cardinals over the Diamondbacks: Torn on this one too. Lance Lynn has been unbelievable. But he has to lose eventually. Joe Saunders has been much better than expected this season. The Diamondbacks are home. Hmm...still going with the Cardinals.
- The Tigers over the Mariners: How good will it be for the Tigers to get Doug Fister back? He beats his old team and Blake Beavan.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Two older lefties in Ted Lilly and Barry Zito. Have to go with Lilly in this one.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Rockies over the Padres: Drew Pomeranz wins his first game of the season against the hapless Padres and score a few runs off of the erratic Edinson Volquez.
Games of the Day: 19-12