Monday was another solid day of baseball game picking. The Indians won both games of a double-header so those picks were split. Double-headers are impossible to pick. The Tigers blew another game in the ninth inning, which once again proves that the saves statistic isn't a good one unless you can't convert one. That ruined another pick as well as Doug Fister's great return start. The Astros were shut out in a Wandy Rodriguez start. Should have picked Miami. And Edinson Volquez won his first game as a member of the Padres. Did not see that coming. Unfortunately, that was the Game of the Day.
Other than those four clunkers, the rest were all correct. The picks are 20 for 28 this week and after a rough start this month, the picks are twenty over for the month and sixty over for the season.
- The Indians over the White Sox: The Indians are on a mini-roll and Justin Masterson can be a shut down pitcher at times. The White Sox counter with John Danks, who is always unpredictable.
- The Phillies over the Mets: Joe Blanton has been the best Phillies' pitcher of late. Picking him has worked the last three times. Let's make it four as he faces the ancient Miguel Bautista, making a spot start for the Mets.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: The Yankees have motivation for the series for two reasons. One, to get some payback for the first series of the season when they were swept. The second, to bring the Bay Rays back to the pack and better their chances for the division. Ivan Nova over James Shields.
- The Rangers over the Orioles: Still unsure about the Neftali Felix experiment. His starts are uneven. Giving him the benefit of the doubt here and thinking the Rangers can do a better job of getting to Jake Arrieta than the Yankees did.
- The Nationals over the Pirates: An awful game to pick. There is little faith in either Edwin Jackson or A.J. Burnett. Going with the Nationals' offense to win the game.
- The Cubs over the Braves: Ryan Dempster has been terrific with nothing to show for it. He will finally capture a win in this one as the Braves go with Randall Delgado, who inspires little confidence.
- The Marlins over the Astros: The Marlins win their eighth in a row on the road trip as Anibal Sanchez holds down the Astros while his mates pummel Aneury Rodriguez. Giancarlo Stanton is hitting bombs nightly at this point.
- The Angels over the Twins: The Twins have helped three cold teams in a row to get their footings back. They are just terrible. Scott Diamond is making his season debut for the Twins as they could no longer live with Liam Hedriks. Diamond is pretty good, but it won't be enough. Dan Haren with the easy win.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Daniel Bard needs a good start to keep him from going back to the bullpen. He might do that against the Royals. Daniel Duffy struggles against a tough Red Sox lineup.
- The Brewers over the Reds: The Reds don't have winning streaks and their current one will stop at two. Homer Bailey lives up to his name again and Yovani Gallardo does okay at home.
- The Diamondbacks over the Cardinals: The Cardinals are killing the ball. But this picker can't pick against man-crush, Ian Kennedy. Jake Westbrook has to be great with his location to win. When Chris Carpenter comes back to this rotation, who leaves it?
- The Rockies over the Padres: Okay, Jeff Suppan laughed all over this picker last time out. But it was a BABIP win and nothing more. Alex White gets the start for the Rockies. That is scary too. At least it isn't at Coors.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: Hate to pick against Brandon McCarthy but it is equally hard to pick against Ricky Romero. This game is a toss up.
- The Tigers over the Mariners: This is the kind of game that Justin Verlander needs to dominate. His team is struggling and he, himself is coming off of two sub-par outings. But he should win over Kevin Millwood.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Clayton Kershaw at home is almost a lock every time. And Ryan Vogelsong just isn't right. Something is wrong with that dude.
Games of the Day: 19-13