Wednesday's picks were much better than Tuesday's fiasco. But they were still like eating a Whopper when what you really wanted was a Filet Mignon. The Yankees, Red Sox and Philies were all predicted to win. They did no. Again. The starting-to-be-surprising Pirates won again despite their starting pitcher going down in the first inning. The Pirates' bullpen is the bomb. Should have picked them. The Mariners beat the Tigers. Certainly did not expect that as Miguel Cabrera went zero for the series. And the pitchers' duel of the day between Johnny Cueto and Zack Grienke went off just as predicted. But once they both left at zero, zero, it became a bullpen game and the pick was sunk.
It could have been worse. At least the day was over .500. The Rangers and Orioles were rained out and will play a double-header today. That bulks up a weak Thursday schedule to seven games. Thursdays' picks:
- The Orioles over the Rangers: The first game is the make up and features the same starters as scheduled yesterday. The extra rest should help Wei-Lin Chen and he should be sharp. Colby Lewis might keep it close if he keeps the ball in the park, something he is not especially good at.
- The Rangers over the Orioles: Derek Holland is the better bet than Tommy Hunter, although Hunter has been pitching well this season.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: This game could go either way, so the pick is the home team. This is a battle of aces as C.C. Sabathia goes against David Price. Price is featuring more off-speed stuff this year and it's made him better. The Yankees seem susceptible to off speed stuff as they always try to pull it. Who knows in this one. If C.C. goes to 5-0 in this one, he will have earned it.
- The Indians over the Red Sox: The Red Sox are so down right now. Wow. They could use a day off in the worst way. Derek Lowe comes back to haunt them as does Johnny Damon. Josh Beckett is iffy because of a tingy lat muscle. If he doesn't go deep, the Red Sox are in trouble.
- The Blue Jays over the Twins: Was tempted to take the Twins in this one as Jason Marquis has the ability to throw a lot of ground balls. But Henderson Alvarez has been too good of late to think the Twins will score any runs.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: This game depends on how "on" Bartolo Colon is. If he is on, it will stay close late and the A's will have a chance. If he is not "on" then no shot for the A's. Max Scherzer was much better his last time out.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Nationals over the Pirates: You can't pick against Stephen Strasburg. The one problem doing so is that the Nats aren't scoring right now. Kevin Correia is really having trouble winning games at home. That could be the difference.
Games of the Day: 19-15