Holy Hannah, the game picks took a beating yesterday. And it was merciless. Almost all of the gains for the week were given back in one fell swoop. Four out of fifteen. Four and eleven. Oof! Ouch! That is bad. It is so much easier today to point to what went right: Nova, Verlander, Feliz and Gallardo. Everything else was wrong. Way wrong. Bite me wrong. Shoot me wrong. Okay, that is enough. There is no sense talking about it any more. Let's just get to Wednesday's picks:
- The Brewers over the Reds: We start right off the bat with a really tough game to call. Johnny Cueto hasn't lost this season and Zack Greinke never loses at home. Intense match up. Going with Greinke at home.
- The Cubs over the Braves: Paul Maholm? Uhh...Tim Hudson in his second start of the season...Uhh. This isn't getting any easier.
- The Rockies over the Padres. Hate picking a rookie making his major league debut. Christian Friedrich is the guy and he's a number one pick in 2008. He was also tutored by Cliff Lee and is doing well in the minors. That's good enough to give him the pick over Anthony Bass.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: Picking the Blue Jays is like trying to hit those pop up vermin in the arcade game. But Brandon Morrow seems a safe enough pick as well as he is pitching. Tyler Ross, on the other hand is not pitching well.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Gosh, these picks are horrible today! Jake Peavy is pitching great. Jeanmar Gomez is pitching great. The Indians are struggling at the plate. Going with Peavy.
- The Phillies over the Mets: Can Cliff Lee be the good Lee after a strained oblique? The Phillies hit Dillon Gee well last year. But aren't hitting anyone well this year. Good golly, this is tough today.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: Everything screams Bay Rays in this one. The Yankees have never beaten Jeff Niemann. David Phelps has not established himself as a major league pitcher. So why pick the Yankees? It's an opposite pick, that's why.
- The Orioles over the Rangers: Yes, Mr. Hamilton can hit a little bit. But Wei-Lin Chen is no Arrieta. And Colby Lewis can be had by the Orioles, especially in the Orioles' home ballpark.
- The Nationals over the Pirates: Have to go with one of this picker's favorite pitcher in Ross Detwiler. But Erik Bedard has been really good too. Isn't there an easy game to pick here. Anywhere?
- The Marlins over the Astros: Completely baffled by Josh Johnson. The line has always been: "If he can stay healthy." But he is. And nothing is happening. Going with him one more time against the Astros and Lucas Harrell.
- The Angels over the Twins: The Angels, man. The Angels. What the heck is going on over there. The thinking is that they can get to Carl Pavano. But can they get to anyone at this point? Ervin Santana gets his first win.
- The Cardinals over the Diamondbacks: The Cardinals certainly seem to have the D-backs' number and the D-backs aren't the team we thought they would be. Kyle Lohse over Wade Miley.
- The Tigers over the Mariners: The M's are playing tough these days. But the pick here is going with The Emoticon, Drew Smiley. Glad to see the Tigers were smart enough to keep him in the rotation even with the return of Fister. Jason Vargas goes for the M's.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Taking Chad Billingsley at home over Tim Lincecum, who hasn't been the Timmy of old. Of course, Dodger Stadium will help him. All these games have been low scoring. That should continue.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Jon Lester better go deep into this game to win. But find it hard to believe the Red Sox can't pound Bruce Chen.
Games of the Day: 19-14