This picker thought he had the pick right for the Blue Jays - Bay Rays game. But in a sadly familiar fashion, the Toronto bullpen blew the game. During the picks yesterday, it was admitted that the Nationals - Rockies game was impossible to pick. After tossing the coin, it came down against the Fan. And to round out the incorrect picks, Mr. Liriano showed up when it was hoped it would be Dr. Jekyll.
But the Rangers behind Alexi Ogando was a good pick and the Game of the Day continued it's winning ways with Cliff Lee's performance over the weak-hitting Giants.
Friday's schedule is packed full and this Fan can't wait to dive in:
- The Reds over the Cubs: Mike Leake's season has been kind of lost in the shuffle. He's been solid all year in the Reds' rotation. He should be a tick better than Ryan Dempster and the hot Cubs.
- The Pirates over the Padres: Aaron Harang is decent. Jeff Karstens is a ground ball machine. The division race seems over for the Pirates, but let's hope they don't collapse completely.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: A tale of two pitchers getting a second chance. Brad Mills was solid but got no run support for the Blue Jays in his last start. Tommy Hunter is too good a pitcher to languish without a role like he did in Texas. Tough call, but with Hardy hurt, going with the Blue Jays.
- The Braves over the Mets: The Mets are sinking a bit. R.A. Dickey can be had and Tim Hudson needs to win or the Braves' wild card lead will be shrunken further.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: This Fan just can't see Bartolo Colon out foxing the Red Sox line up. Jon Lester should win the first game of this big series.
- The Bay Rays over the Athletics: Guillermo Moscoco is the wild card in this game. He could be bad. He could be great. Either way, Jeff Niemann should be good enough to win.
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: Anibal Sanchez's good start has faded into the mist. Jake Westbrook keeps the ball on the ground. Should be a Cardinal win.
- The Rangers over the Indians: A dream match up of Derek Holland versus Ubaldo Jiminez. Holland is at home and he has been a shutout machine lately. Those two factors disappoint Ubaldo's first outing.
- The White Sox over the Twins: Blackburn singing in the dead of night. Take these broken wins and learn to fly. Sorry, Nick, Mark Buehrle will be better.
- The Tigers over the Royals: Felipe Paulino has been much better than expected. But Rick Porcello hasn't lost since June.
- The Rockies over the Nationals: Two young pitchers that can't seem to get run support in Jordan Zimmermann and Juan Nicasio. Nicasio is used to pitching in Coors Field. Zimmermann is not.
- The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: Going with Josh Collmenter at home over Clay Billingsley. Not a comfortable pick. But there it is.
- The Angels over the Mariners: Jared Weaver is listed as the starter. Did he appeal his suspension? If he pitches, the Angels win over Jason Vargas.
- The Phillies over the Giants: This isn't last year and the Phillies have the upper hand. They are the best team in the National League and maybe in baseball. Vance Worley helped make that happen. Meanwhile, Jonathan Sanchez simply isn't the stud he appeared to be.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Astros: The Brewers are not as good on the road but Yovani Gallardo has beaten the Astros six straight times. J.A. Happ is having a horrible season.
Games of the Day: 79-45