First of all, what business did this picker have picking the Diamondbacks? Jason Marquis buckled in his first contending game faster than shoes during an Easter egg hunt. That was a stupid pick. The Blue Jays? Seriously? Villanueva hasn't pitched a good game in a month and this picker thought he would pitch a good one against Tampa Bay? Seriously stupid pick. As was the Cardinal pick. Last night's game is why Edwin Jackson has pitched for six different teams by the age of 27. He tantalizes like A.J. Burnett with his stuff. But over the long haul? Nah. And there must be apologies to Luke Hochevar fans. The guy has pitched two good games in a row and this picker picked against him both times. Duh.
But the game and the pick that hurt the most was the Reds loss. It hurt because Dontrelle Willis should have gotten that win. He pitched six-plus innings of good baseball and even hit a homer. But Nick Masset-who isn't an asset, blew the lead all to you know where and the Reds lost to the Astros...again.
Looking over this post so far, there is a lot of whining going on considering it was a good day of picking. That must be the perfectionist speaking again. The dream of course, is to have a day of 15-0. That would be like shooting a hole in one in golf. It won't happen Thursday because there are only ten games on Thursday's schedule:
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: Wade Davis is still a healthy Phil Hughes. Going with Brett Cecil instead. Perhaps Bautista will park one today.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: This picker thought that the purpose of getting Doug Fister was to get Brad Penny out of the rotation. Apparently not, because he is pitching today. Alexi Ogando with the win. It is a day game though, so that counts Josh Hamilton out of doing anything good.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: The Pirates finally win a game in this series as James McDonald doesn't have to sweat much to beat Rodrigo Lopez.
- The Indians over the Red Sox: Two things here. First, Erik Bedard is a long shot for the Red Sox. Secondly, Justin Masterson is a great pitcher that the Red Sox let get away.
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: Kyle Lohse better figure it out soon as he had a bad July. The Cardinals need a quality start. But it might not matter if they jump all over Clay Hensley.
- The Royals over the Orioles: How can you pick this game? Jeff Francis has given up ten runs in two starts against the Orioles and Zach Britton can't get out of the first inning lately. Baffling.
- The Yankees over the White Sox: Troublesome pick as well. Ivan Nova could be great or the White Sox could erupt against him. Phil Humber threw his best start of the year against the Yankees but has not been great lately.
- The Nationals over the Rockies: This gets uglier and uglier. Esmil Rogers and his seven-plus ERA versus Ross Detwiler. Oh goody.
- The Twins over the Angels: This pick should be right if we don't get Dr. Jekyll and get Mr. Liriano. Dan Haren is darn good too.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Giants: In this playoff preview, Cliff Lee out duels Madison Bumgarner.
Games of the Day: 78-45