August starts with eleven games on the schedule which is pretty good for a Monday. Is it this picker's imagination or do teams seem to have a lot less off days this season? Some of these teams must be getting gassed by now. Maybe this picker is as well? At any rate, here are Monday's picks:
- The Braves over the Nationals: The Braves better get off their low gear or their nice little wild card cushion is going to disappear altogether. Jair Jurrjens is the right guy on the mound for them. At 12-3, he should beat Livan Hernandez.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: The Pirates made a couple of small but nice acquisitions yesterday. Their offense should be better. Lord knows, after getting thumped by the Phillies, they certainly need to get back on a roll. Paul Maholm over Carlos Zambrano is this one.
- The Indians over the Red Sox: This one is a stretch. But seeing here a weak outing by John Lackey combined with a gutty one by Josh Tomlin being the difference in this one.
- The Mets over the Marlins: There is a lot going on in his game. First, Mike Pelfrey hasn't beaten the Fish in fourteen straight starts dating all the way back to 2006. The law of averages says he has to win one of these days against them. Secondly, this picker hasn't gotten a Mets pick correct in more than a week. And the gut says the Marlins should win. So it's an opposite pick. Javier Vazquez goes for the Fish.
- The Reds over the Astros: Bud Norris is a good pitcher. But who is going to score for Houston? All of their offensive players are gone. Bronson Arroyo just has to be decent to win this game.
- The Yankees over the White Sox: The White Sox didn't have a good time against the Red Sox. Now they face the Yankees and C.C Sabathia, who has been amazing. Jake Peavy gets the start for the ChiSox.
- The Brewers over the Cardinals: So the Cardinals have Rafael Furcal in the dugout but don't play him? Why? These Cards are in a bit of trouble and now face the Brewers in Milwaukee. Not a good thing, especially with Zack Greinke on the mound. Chris Carpenter is a worthy mound opponent though.
- The Phillies over the Rockies: Going with Cole Hamels over Jhoulys Chacin in this one. That thin air will help both offenses though.
- The Dodgers over the Padres: The Dodgers are pretty much dead in the water. But Clayton Kershaw has been remarkable. Corey Luebke will be the hard luck loser.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: The Fan really, really wants to pick Ian Kennedy to win. But he faces Matt Cain in San Francisco. Not going to happen.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Athletics over the Mariners: The Fan likes this Blake Beavan kid pitching for the Mariners. But Trevor Cahill will have no trouble holding down the Mariners.
July final: 210-191
Games of the Day: 77-43