This picker really thought the White Sox - Yankees game would go differently. The White Sox couldn't put anything together on Phil Hughes, whose stuff was still ordinary. John Danks couldn't keep the ball in the ballpark. The Nationals are on fire and the once insurmountable wild card lead by the Atlanta Braves is evaporating. The Dodgers won behind Hiroki Kuroda. The Fan had San Diego. The Twins have this picker totally baffled now. They lost again. Tim Lincecum could not keep up with Daniel Hudson. Thought it would be the other way around. Picking the Astros was just plain stupid. And finally, Jason Isringhausen is no K-Rod and blew another save for the Mets.
Okay. Enough is enough. The Fan is hunkering down. It's time to make some good picks for Wednesday:
- The Braves over the Nationals: After Chien-Ming Wang got out of the first inning, he wasn't half bad. But there's no way to count on him. Brandon Beachy with the win.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: The Cards have become a classless mess of late. But Edwin Jackson was a good pick up and this is the kind of game he has to win. Randy Wolf goes for the Brewers. Jason Hammel will not get in the way.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: Charlie Furbush isn't the greatest pitcher in the world, but he's left handed, making it that much tougher for the A's to score. Gio Gonzalez has confused this picker all season.
- The Diamondbacks over the Giants: The D-backs' train keeps rolling right into first place. Jason Marquis has had great success at AT&T Park which makes him a smart pickup for the Arizona gang. Ryan Vogelsong with a tough loss.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Charlie Morton's success has dried up over his last six starts and he's been awful. Matt Garza is due for a win.
- The Tigers over the Rangers: Everything would lead this picker to pick Texas except that Matt Harrison always gets roughed up in Detroit. Doug Fister is not as bad as his record, but not as good as his current ERA. It will be interesting.
- The Red Sox over the Indians: It was fun while it lasted for the Indians who continue to sink. Carlos Carrasco hasn't pitched a good game in forever. Tim Wakefield is the wild card in this game.
- The Mets over the Marlins: The Mets and Marlins both frustrate this picker to no end. The Fan can't even see straight to make this pick. Clay Hensley has only started against the Mets this year and has been good. Dillon Gee is 10-3. You have to go with the latter right? Oy.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: The Rays should have traded James Shields when they had the chance. His value is going down with each start. Carlos Villanueva can't seem to last more than five innings lately. But he will tonight.
- The Reds over the Astros: Jordan Lyles and Dontrelle Willis are both without a win this season. Something has to give this game. The Astros have nothing left in their line up, so going that way.
- The Orioles over the Royals: The thinking here is that Jeremy Guthrie has more of a chance to repeat his last great outing than Luke Hochevar has of repeating his.
- The Yankees over the White Sox: All logic points to a White Sox win in this one as Gavin Floyd has beaten three straight contenders and the Yankees go with A.J. Burnett. But Burnett will have a good game and the Yankees will win.
- The Padres over the Dodgers: Tim Stauffer is great but gets no run support. Ted Lilly is a home run allowing machine. But the Padres have no one to hit them. Great.
- The Twins over the Angels: Scott Baker is pitching pretty well despite not getting wins. Joel Pineiro has been cuffed around on a regular basis.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Rockies: The Phillies are unstoppable. And now Roy Halladay pitches. Forgetaboutit.
Games of the Day: 77-45