It was a Sunday massacre yesterday as the picks took a beating. The day started 0-4 and only improved slightly along the way. Three aces pitched yesterday and only one of them won (Sabathia). The White Sox pick was the most lopsidedly wrong pick in this picker's history of picking. The confounded Cardinals lost again. The unpredictable Mets won again. The Red Sox effort was Lackeying. The Royals and Twins picks were awful in hindsight. Jeanmar Gomez again made a pick look stupid. Aaron Cook decided to end his dominance of the Padres. Thanks, Aaron. Brutal.
Today's Labor Day picks have to be better because the day, the week and the month are all in the red. Come oooonnn Labor Day. Apparently, baseball players aren't laborers as there are sixteen games on today's schedule!
- The Yankees over the Orioles: The only chance the Orioles have in this game is to out-slug the New Yorkers as Brian Matusz is 1-7 with an ERA higher than this picker's foot size. Freddie Garcia goes for the Yankees at home.
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Tigers hath no mercy on contenders. Ubaldo Jimenez is pitching for Cleveland but Doug Fister and his team will prevail. This race is over.
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: Hiroki Kuroda has won four straight. John Lannon is giving up homers.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: If Josh Beckett keeps the ball in the park, he'll beat Henderson Alvarez, who has looked pretty good so far. But the Red Sox line up eats young pitchers for breakfast.
- The White Sox and Twins split their double-header. Thank goodness for September call ups or the White Sox wouldn't have anyone to pitch these games. This double dip suddenly seems meaningless.
- The Cubs over the Reds: Something has to give in this game as the Reds refuse to score for the winless Dontrelle Willis and Matt Garza has yet to beat the Reds in his short NL career.
- The Bay Rays over the Rangers: James Shields has to be picked in this game. He's just been so good this season. Scott Feldman is the emotional pick for this Fan, but the picker is resisting.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Wade Miley won't be as good in Coors Field as he was in his last outing against the Rockies, but Esmil Rogers should get hit a bit as the D-backs continue to roll.
- The Athletics over the Royals: The A's have been a hot team and Hideki Matsui is right in the middle of it. Rich Harden should pitch a quality game and the hard-luck Felipe Paulino loses again.
- The Giants over the Padres: Madison Bumgarner has been terrific lately and Tim Stauffer has suddenly lost the ability to throw strikes.
- The Pirates over the Astros: James McDonald lost a heart-breaker to the Astros in his last outing and Henry Sosa has pitched well for the Astros. But the Pirates should win this one.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: This is a reverse pick as the Brewers should win. But since the Cardinals keep doing the opposite of every pick, this picker is trying this strategy in desperation. Randy Wolf versus Jake Westbrook. Cardinals are the home team.
- The Phillies over the Braves: Derek Lowe will pitch this game like a playoff game. But Cliff Lee won't give up any runs so it won't matter.
- The Marlins over the Mets: This picker has no feel for this game. Javier Vazquez isn't the pushover he was earlier in the season. And Chris Capuano has had a decent season. So who knows.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Mariners: Anthony Vazquez of the Mariners is a "crafty lefty." Translated: He has no real stuff. Dan Haren, on the other hand, has great stuff.
Yesterday: 6-9 ouch
Week: 6-9 unfair that had to be typed twice.
Month: 27-29 hardly impressive in September
Season: 1159-929 at least there's this
Games of the Day: 97-46 and this