A late inning rally by the Angels gave Jerome Williams a spotless 3-0 record and at least helped this picker reach the .500 mark for the day. It wasn't easy. The Yankees, Red Sox and Giants all lost. The Twins surprised with a win. The Braves couldn't take any of their games with the Phillies. And just when you think it is safe to get back in Royals enthusiasm, they tank again.
The Yankees game with the Orioles was particularly frustrating. If you are going to rest your regulars, rest your regulars. Instead, Girardi decides he wants to win the game so he puts the regulars back in there in the middle innings just to see the game go into extra innings. Now what rest did they get? Right. None. They have almost no off days in September and rest was the right call. Task blown.
There are ten games on Thursday's schedule including four of them coming in double-headers. Here are the picks:
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: The washed out match up of yesterday should still see a Dodgers win behind young Dana Eveland. Would love to pick Chien-Ming Wang, but logic rules over the heart.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Keep chanting that wins mean nothing as Ivan Nova wins another. Alfredo Simon gets on the wrong side of that equation. This is a make up game in Baltimore from the days of the tropical storm.
- The Nationals over the Dodgers: In the second game, the prediction here is that Ross Detwiler bounces back from his disastrous last start and the Nationals score enough off of Chad Billingsley to win.
- The Braves over the Mets: The first game of this double-header features Mike Minor versus Chris Schwinden making his major league debut. Have learned the hard way over the years not to pick pitchers doing that.
- The Mets over the Braves: Dillon Gee is a safer pick than Julio Teheran. Teheran gets a lot of juice as a young phenom, but hasn't shown much so far in his major league appearances.
- The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: The combination of Ricky Romero's good pitching and the lack of confidence in Andrew Miller leads to this pick for the Blue Jays.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Have no clue on this game. David (Hassle) Huff is up and down, good and bad on any given day for Cleveland. Gavin Floyd the same thing. Good luck on this one.
- The Phillies over the Brewers: Cole Hamels is the difference in this one as the Phillies should score often on Chris Narveson. Picking against the Brewers at home is a risk though.
- The Royals over the Mariners: Is Luke Hochevar starting to put it together? Or is that asking too much? The Mariners were one-hit yesterday. Jason Vargas has gotten hammered the entire second half of the season.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: Man-crush, Ian Kennedy goes for win number nineteen but faces a tough customer in Cory Luebke. The difference in the offense of the two teams sways the pick easily.
Games of the Day: 99-57