Today's picks post has to begin with a tip of the cap and an apology to Danny Duffy. He won his last start of the year (they are shutting him down due to innings pitched). This picker picked against him yesterday and wasn't very kind in the process. Good on you, Mr. Duffy. There were a few other bad picks. It was sad to see the Diamondbacks' bullpen implode in their game yesterday. The Nationals did not allow any runs while Stephen Strasburg was in the game. Once he left after five innings, the floodgates opened and they lost easily to the Dodgers. The Twins got a great outing from Liam Hendriks but Jake Peavy and the White Sox bullpen were better. And in hindsight, the Braves over the Phillies was probably a bad pick from the start.
But other than those games, it was a good day of picking. This picker still can't believe they started that Yankee - Orioles game at eleven o'clock...in the rain. How stupid was that? Best Twitter line of the night was someone who said that the delay was disrespectful to the memory of Mike Flanagan. Speaking of Twitter, it was an interesting day there as many authors from big sites were arguing about a post over on It's About the Money Stupid. Seemed like much ado over nothing. But it's always fun to see famous people argue publicly.
Anyway, it's about the picks stupid, so get to them! Wednesday:
- The Tigers over the Indians: Love Justin Masterson, but he faces another Justin named Verlander who is having a monster season. If that Justin does his thing, it's all but over in the AL Central.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: There's going to be some tired players in this one. Expect the Yankees to rest some people. Even so, they seem to enjoy hitting Zach Britton. And A.J. Burnett will have another decent outing to ensure his place on the post season roster so he can get kicked around in the playoffs.
- The Bay Rays over the Rangers: Two great lefties in Derek Holland and David Price. Going with Price at home.
- The Royals over the Athletics: The Royals seem to be winning a lot lately. Eric Hosmer is hot at the plate. Bruce Chen somehow manages to fool most hitters for six innings and Guillermo Moscoso is inconsistent.
- The Mets over the Marlins: In a rather funny tweet last night, someone said that he hopes the Marlins win this game so the headline can read, "Hand beats Dickey." But R.A. Dickey will win the game and Brad Hand will be handed the loss.
- The Giants over the Padres: Carlos Beltran is hitting like crazy which changes things for the Giants. Matt Cain over Aaron Harang.
- The Braves over the Phillies: This is the Braves' best chance for a win this series as Brandon Beachy could out pitch Roy Oswalt.
- The Astros over the Pirates: Yes. Again. Made fun J.A. Happ last time and it blew up in this picker's face. He has been pitching well since returning from the minors. Brian Burres goes for the Pirates.
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: Dana Eveland has been impressive. Would love to pick Chien-Ming Wang, but can't logically.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Tim Wakefield again goes for 200 wins. Brandon Morrow won't throw enough strikes to stay in the game long enough to win.
- The Cubs over the Reds: Ryan Dempster is a different pitcher at home. A little worried about his high pitch count in his last start though. Johnny Cueto was roughed up in his last outing. Running out of gas?
- The White Sox over the Twins: This picker can't seriously keep picking the Twins the way they are playing. It's stupid. John Danks over Carl Pavano.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: Chris Carpenter will be better in this outing at home. The Cards will score enough off Zack Greinke to win.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: This one could be a high scoring affair with Joe Saunders facing Kevin Millwood at Coors Field.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Mariners: Charlie Furbush isn't as good on the road as he is at home. Jerome Williams is one of the feel good stories of the year.
Games of the Day: 98-57