Well, that's better! Labor Day was certainly an improvement over the previous two days. The week and the month are back in the black and despite the constant rain, things are much rosier this morning. Some of the picks did have problems. Boston's loss to the Blue Jays was unexpected. It was predicted that the White Sox and Twins would split their double-header, but the White Sox swept it. The Nationals beat up on Kuroda and that wasn't foreseen. And dang those wacky Cardinals. They mess this picker up every day. The slug-fest was predicted at Yankee Stadium, but at least that pick lucked out.
With a clear head and a rosier outlook on life, here are Tuesday's picks:
- The Braves over the Phillies: The law of averages says that Vance Worley has to lose some time. It might as well be Tim Hudson who has already beaten the Phillies once this year. Hudson will have to be mighty good though.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Tommy Hunter was a nice pick up by the Orioles but the Yankees are tough at home. Phil Hughes will have to pitch better than his last two outings.
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Tigers can smell it. You can tell. Rick Porcello has been creamed by the Indians this year. So it's time for some payback. Fausto Carmona goes for the Indians.
- The Astros over the Pirates: Brett Myers finally gets a win at the expense of Brad Lincoln and the Pirates.
- The Nationals over the Dodgers: Ted Lilly faces a meat of a line up that is all right-handed. And Morse, Werth and Zimmerman are hammering the ball. That bodes well for the debut of Stephen Strasburg. Heard rain was in their forecast though.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: At least the Sox can count on Jon Lester. He should beat the Blue Jays who start Luis Perez, who is pitching pretty well.
- The Mets over the Marlins: The Mets pitch the 40 year old, Miguel Bautista. What the heck, he won last time. Chris Volstad hasn't won many this year.
- The Rangers over the Bay Rays: C.J. Wilson was cruising in his last start against these same Bay Rays last week when he hurt his index finger. Meanwhile, the Rangers got to Jeff Niemann. Will history repeat itself? The Rangers need the win.
- The Reds over the Cubs: This picker will take Mike Leake over Rodrigo Lopez pretty much every time.
- The Twins over the White Sox: Liam Hendriks is the perfect Twins-type pitcher. He never walks anyone and he'll strikeout a few guys along the way. If he carries that into the majors, he'll have a chance to succeed. He's avoided the long ball in the minors too. Jake Peavy starts for the White Sox.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: Oh heck, why not. The Cards always seem to pound Yovani Gallardo and Kyle Lohse has had a solid season.
- The Athletics over the Royals: Let's see...Danny Duffy is on a 150 inning limit this season. He's pitched 141 total innings. So he can make three more starts if he stinks in all of them, right? Gio Gonzalez is a good pitcher...sometimes.
- The Mariners over the Angels: Felix Hernandez will need to throw another great game at the Angels to win like he did last time. Ervin Santana won't give up much either.
- The Giants over the Padres: Eric Surkamp has been impressive both in the majors and in the minors. Wade LeBlanc will hold the Giants down (everybody does that), but will take the tough loss.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Josh Collmenter seems back on track. Jason Hammel has never even seen the track this season.
Games of the Day: 98-56