Yesterday's picks started like Blake Bleaven. Bleaven gave up a homer and a triple to start his outing and was down in the score 0-2 to start his night. But he settled down just like the picks did and had himself a good day and got the win. This picker had plenty of wins in the end too. The Cardinals had to beat Kimbrel in the ninth to bring that pick around. What were the odds of that? But it happened. The Angels beat the Yankees despite a good outing for Shrek...umm...Bartolo Colon. The Bay Rays beat the Red Sox as predicted. Clayton Kershaw did indeed out duel Tim Lincecum in a game that featured only ten combined hits and not a single extra base hit. The Diamondbacks won again. The Phillies beat the Brewers again. So yes, it was a good night of picks.
Let's see what Saturday brings us:
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Wow. A tough one right out of the gate. Henderson Alvarez has looked good for the Blue Jays in his young career. Rick VandenHurk makes his first start of the year for the Orioles. hmm...
- The Mets over the Cubs: Randy Wells has pitched nicely in the second half and has turned his season around. But Chris Capuano has a very good career record against the Cubs and the Mets have their offense going a bit.
- The Reds over the Rockies: Alex White is giving up at least four runs in every start. That should counter whatever Bronson Arroyo does. The Reds win this one even if it is high scoring.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Fausto Carmona isn't fooling anyone these days. Phil Humber was very good in his last start, albeit against the Twins.
- The Tigers over the Twins: The biggest question is whether the Tigers will lose again this year. Max Scherzer over Anthony Swarzak.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: Alexi Ogando has been questionable lately and the Rangers need a big game from him with the Angels breathing down their necks. Trevor Cahill has pitched well against the Rangers this year but is only 2-2 to show for it.
- The Marlins over the Pirates: Jeff Locke makes his major league debut for the Pirates. Never take that pick. It's just a rule of the place. Anibal Sanchez pitches for the Fish.
- The Astros over the Nationals: Going with Wandy Rodriguez and the Astros over John Lannon. Imagine.
- The Bay Rays over the Red Sox: This start by Kyle Weiland is one of the reasons for the angst going on in New England right now. Jeremy Hellickson is quietly having a very good second half.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: Oh yeah, NOW the Cardinals make their run. The Braves' bullpen is gassed. Jaime Garcia over Derek Lowe.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: Rollin' rollin' rollin' the D-backs keep on rolling. Wade Miley has another good game over Tim Stauffer.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Dana Eveland pitched so well last time out that the Dodgers are going to let him pitch again. The Giants simply can't hit and even Ryan Vogelsong can't keep this team in tune.
- The Yankees over the Angels: C.C. Sabathia wins his 20th and Dan Haren is the hard luck loser. Low scoring game again.
- The Mariners over the Royals: Felipe Paulino can't seem to win a game despite having really good stuff. Michael Pineda has had plenty of rest and should look good.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Brewers: Cliff Lee versus Randy Wolf? Please. No chance for the Brewers.
Games of the Day: 101-57