All that is a preamble to having to admit that it was a bad day of picking for this Fan of baseball in all its unpredictable glory. At least the Game of the Day was right. Not much else was. The worst kicker of the night? Phil Hughes pitches great again. He gets two quick outs in the sixth inning but reaches 100 pitches. He gets pulled (the Fan would have given him one more batter) and the Yankees don't get another out until the game is beyond reach.
Oh well, Wednesday is another day and with a full pluck of confidence, here are today's picks:
- The Padres over the Marlins: The Marlins are all over the map. They either look like superheroes or superduds on any given night. They struck out 15 times last night. The way the Fan sees it, Nate Robertson is due for a fall and Correia has been pitching pretty well.
- The Pirates over the Brewers: Malholm is a good pitcher and the Brewers are countering with an unknown and untested Narveson.
- The Mets over the Dodgers: Josh Towers is pitching for the Dodgers? Really? That certainly should counter-effect any harm John Maine can do.
- The Mariners over the Royals: This game couldn't get worse to pick. Gil (ga) Meche has been bloody awful, which means he'll throw a gem (see Harang from yesterday).
- The Cubs over the Nationals: Atliano was really good in his debut, but Dempster might be the Cubs' best pitcher.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: The D-backs are 2-6 on the road so far. Not good. And Benson can't be this good, can he?
- The Giants over the Phillies: One word: Lincecum.
- The Indians over the Angels: Westbrook gets his first win of the year. Santana gets his third loss.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: The Fan will take a Sabathia match up with Guthrie every night please.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Just like Scherzer over Baker. Think the kid will come up big tonight.
- The Athletics over the Bay Rays: Braden goes to 4-0 and yells at Longoria for stepping on the foul line.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: The Sox get two breaks here. First, the Blue Jays don't do well with lefties (Lester) and secondly, they are throwing a lefty too in Cecil which means that Ortiz will sit.
- The Reds over the Astros: Leake hasn't leaked yet. Paulino is always scary.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: Really like Garcia. Don't trust Kawakami. Plus the Braves are in a serious batting slump.
And the GAME OF THE DAY!
- The Rangers over the White Sox: The Rangers will jump all over Peavy and Harden gets all juiced up facing such a patsy line up.
Yesterday: 7-9 Woof
Games of the Day: 5-7