Before we get to Monday's picks, can this Fan vent a minute? Sure. Go for it. This Fan just can't stand A. J. Burnett as a pitcher. It seems he's a fun guy that helps loosen up the Yankees. But his pitching drives the Fan stark raving crazy. Take the Ortiz at bat where Ortiz hit the double that started the big inning. He had Ortiz all set up for the curve. He got the first strike with a curve. Then threw a couple of good fastballs and one last curve would have buckled Ortiz like a bad tent. Instead, he threw him a fastball right in the sweet spot. Second example. Beltre came up right after Ortiz's double and Burnett made him look totally stupid with a curve ball. But then he threw nothing but fastballs after that and Beltre drove in two runs. Burnett is one of those pitchers that has no brain at all for pitching. He totally relies on his talent but if he just had a little bit of a pitcher's mentality, he'd be amazing. Instead, he is as reliable as the Italian army. Okay. Rant over.
Trying to calm down over here so there is some sanity to Monday's picks. Taking a deep breath. Okay. Let's do it:
- The Reds over the Pirates: Ohlendorf is one of the Fan's favorites, but there is a rule here that a pitcher making his first start coming off the disabled list is never picked for the win. It's a solid rule.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: Doiks! Mitre versus Willis? How are you supposed to pick that?
- The Nationals over the Mets: The Nats are now tied with the Mets for second place in the NL East. How do you like that? Atliano will make sure they pull ahead by a game.
- The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: This pick only happens if Morrow throws strikes. If he doesn't. Man...the Fan doesn't even want to think about it.
- The Marlins over the Cubs: These picks today are awful! Robertson versus Lilly. It's another dadburn toss up. The Marlins haven't won in an awfully long time. They are totally due.
- The Brewers over the Braves: Watched the Braves today and they are really struggling. Chipper is out (so what else is new). Heyward is still out. They don't field well. They don't hit. They just looked terrible.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: Torn on this one too. The Dodgers still look flat. But Billingsley tilts this one in the Dodgers' favor.
- The Bay Rays over the Angels: Mad at being no-hit on Sunday, the Bay Rays jump all over Pineiro. Plus Hunter has a leg problem (knees).
And the GAME OF THE DAY!
- The Phillies over the Rockies: The Rockies are really scuffling and now Tulo is out with a groin (this season's favorite injury it seems). Plus Kendrick and Moyer are in an interesting battle for the fifth spot in the rotation.
Games of the Day: 12-12