The month of July ended in disappointment. While there was some lousy picking involved (Pittsburgh !?), there were also blown saves by the Phillies, Tigers and the Dodgers. The Tigers meltdown was particularly prodigious as they had a 4-0 lead with six outs to go. The loss to the never-say-die Red Sox pretty much kills the Tigers. It also helped kill this picker's day. If those saves aren't blown, it would have been a ten win day. But that's baseball and why this picker isn't a betting man.
Sunday begins a fresh new month. Lots of names have switched teams and picking games will have to account for them. Berkman had a really bad first night with the Yankees. Haran is 0-2 with the Angels (though he did pitch a great game). So let's plunge straight in and see how the month will begin:
- The Indians over the Blue Jays: Litsch has been better of late. But Jeanmar Gomez was really good his first start of the year last time out.
- The Mets over the Diamondbacks: Niese has been consistently good. Hudson has looked not quite ready for the majors.
- The Braves over the Reds: Volquez has had two bad starts in a row. Hanson got whacked last time he faced the Reds. Interesting match up and impossible to predict.
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Hamels should be better than Lannan as long as the Phillies don't need a save, they'll be okay.
- The Tigers over the Red Sox: Two things make this pick logical. First, Verlander is a stud. Secondly, the Red Sox still have to many new guys in the starting lineup.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: Sabathia versus Shields. Neither has been dominant of late. The Yankees historically hit Shields. Sabathia has had success against them.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Taking Wolf over Wright simply because of experience. Other than that one factor, they are a wash.
- The White Sox over the Athletics: Gonzalez has had a fine season for the A's, but the White Sox have feasted on him in the past.
- The Twins over the Mariners: Mauer is sitting, but the Twins and Liriano should beat French and the Mariners.
- The Orioles over the Royals: Taking Millwood over Chen for no other reason than either one can be terrible.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: Wainwright gets win number 15. Why doesn't this guy get more praise?
- The Cubs over the Rockies: Another game that's a toss up with Silva starting against De La Rosa. Sheesh.
- The Rangers over the Angels: The Rangers finish off the Angels with Cliff Lee out pitching Weaver.
- The Marlins over the Padres: Josh Johnson does what he does and that is punish weak-hitting teams like the Padres.
And the Game of the Day
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Kershaw is getting stronger and Matt Cain is 0-8 lifetime against the Dodgers.
Last Week: 56-40
Last Month: 232-155
Games of the Day: 56-45