Tuesday was a positive day but it still didn't leave that great a taste in the mouth. It was like hankering for a hamburger and getting one to appease the craving, but the hamburger was well done. The Game of the Day was wrong...again...as Kuroda out pitched Carpenter for a 1-0 win. The West Coast was what kind of killed the day. This picker has been going to bed fairly early for once and seven wins were in the bag at that time. Only two of the remaining left coast games proved correct. Oh well, it was still thrilling to see Strasburg.
Wednesday has another full slate of games to pick and really, the Fan shouldn't sneeze at nine win days. Here are today's challenges:
- The Marlins over the Phillies: The Marlins are the most frustrating team in baseball. Last night they jumped all over Kendrick, but they couldn't hold a big lead, played lousy defense and just simply blew the game. The next night they look like the best team in baseball. But which one will appear on any given night? In a marquee match up of Halladay versus Johnson, two of the better pitchers go head to head. The Marlins should lose. But hence the frustration.
- The Pirates versus the Nationals: After Strasburg, Lannon will look like a softball pitcher to the Pirates who counter with their own phenom tonight as Lincoln makes his major league debut.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Sabathia should be much better than Tillman.
- The Red Sox over the Indians: Buchholz has been terrific. Masterson, not so much, though he was good the last time out.
- The Padres over the Mets: Latos is the pitcher of the future. Santana, the past.
- The Giants over the Reds: Burrell and Posey are killing the ball. Sanchez should be better than Harang.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: Marcum has been terrific and should counter David Price very well.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Will take Wilson over Snell, who doesn't even believe in himself these days.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Now that the Cubs have messed up Zambrano, we'll give the nod to Wolf.
- The Twins over the Royals: The Twins have an unbelievable record at home (19-9).
- The Astros over the Rockies: Can't believe the Fan is typing this, but Paulino has had two really good starts in a row.
- The Diamondbacks over the Braves: Kawakami can't seem to buy a win. Ian Kennedy has been solid.
- The Athletics over the Angels: Braden should be better than Saunders.
- The Dodgers over the Cardinals: The Dodgers already beat Carpenter, they might as well beat Wainwright at home too. Kershaw needs to come up big though.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Let the fire sale in Chicago begin.
Games of the Day: 26-27 [grumble]