And so we're into the home stretch. An exciting month of down to the wire action awaits us. Alas, for some teams, they will continue to just play out the string. Here's how the month will start:
- The Cardinals over the Astros: Everything indicates the Cardinals won't win. Suppon is starting. The team isn't hitting. But the Cardinals will jump on Figueroa.
- The White Sox over the Indians: The Manny circus begins. Garcia over Carrasco.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Let's show Gorzelanny some love. He's hung in there all year in a losing cause. McDonald with the loss.
- The Red Sox over the Orioles: Lester is regaining his elite status. Arrieta can't get the job done.
- The Dodgers over the Phillies: Marquee match up of Oswalt versus Kershaw. Thinking here that Kershaw gives the Phillies line up fits at home.
- The Athletics over the Yankees: Can't pick Burnett. Just can't. Though the caveat is that the Yankees have hit Anderson hard this year.
- The Padres over the Diamondbacks: The Padres have lost SIX in a row [[looking around]] but Latos stops the bleeding and beats the impressive Enright.
- The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: David Price should win his 17th in this one.
- The Marlins over the Nationals: Volstad needs a good game for this pick to be correct, but he's done it before.
- The Twins over the Tigers: Scherzer has been great lately, but Liriano is a Cy Young candidate.
- The Reds over the Brewers: Narveson has been really good of late, but Cueto has also been great.
- The Mets over the Braves: Pelfrey is a better pitcher than Hanson right now. That's the reason for the pick even though the Braves rarely lose at home and the Mets look moribund.
- The Mariners over the Angels: The Fan likes Vargas this year. The Fan doesn't like Bell.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Once again, Ubaldo can't get any help from his offense. Lincecum will win.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Rangers over the Royals: Hunter got back on track in his last start. Bullington can at least say he beat the Yankees.
August Final: 216-168
Games of the Day: 73-58 two game losing streak